Tuesday, February 18, 2014

That awkward moment when you know you're done


Available on:  Amazon.com and Kindle



When I went to interviews with nursing home staff, I figured that all of my experience would land me a decent job as a Social Worker in one of them.  But then, when the staff would say: "I've read your book."  I knew I was done in this industry.

Are there good people working traditional nursing homes?  Yes, but, unfortunately the 'good' people working there are not the people who own and run them.  Staff in a nursing home cannot allow themselves to be caught dead associating with anyone who dares to write a book that points out all the major faults of traditional nursing homes.

Why not?  Well, nearly all working people in America today are exactly where American business owners want them: scared to rise up, scared to try changes, scared of losing their jobs and therefore being unable to support their families.  This fear may be okay for other industries, but nursing homes are an industry dealing with people and their lives, not the manufacturing of some parts you slap on a car.

Why don't those people want to change nursing homes for the better?  Why don't they want to work with anyone to make life better for their main reasons for even existing, namely the people who pay their paychecks, the people living there who butter their bread?  No, because owners and operators only give a shit about the bottom line, the 'race to the bottom' that is so prevalent in American industry today.  Sad but too true.

Well, I, for one, am pissed off about how traditional nursing homes treat the very people who line their bank accounts.  The staff very well should be pissed off too.  They should be pissed enough to want to petition for changes.  It saddens me to see American workers so impotent anymore.  So much so, they are willing to ruin the elderly residents lives than to try and clean up the flaws.  This is the thing I hate most about present day America.  

I wish more people would read my book.  Not just for sales, but to actually care enough to seek changes, for their loved ones, for the very people they actually work for.  The people they work for are Not the big wigs, but the people who line the big wig's pockets. I wish staff could realize that fact.  



These stickers are on our car window.