Friday, August 2, 2013

What's for dinner?

Steaks with tomatoes, onions and peppers


Picked up a wonderful old, cookbook at a yard sale not long ago.  I adore old cookbooks because they bring back memories for me, great smells in my Mom's kitchen, making me hungry when I'd come home from a long day of playing or school.

So many dishes that 'just don't taste like Mom's' but now I have grow kids saying the same to me.  That makes me feel good when they call and ask me 'how did you cook that?'

Well this one is one of my Mom's recipes but I plan to do at least one recipe from the yard sale book, per week, maybe more if I can.  I now have more time and I discovered I love cooking from scratch.  Bon Appetit!

Steaks with peppers, onions and tomatoes:

Three to four steaks, either cube steaks or any cut you enjoy

Two medium size cans of tomatoes with garlic and onion, or just plain tomatoes, whichever you like

Course ground pepper to taste

One medium green pepper, chopped

One medium to large onion, chopped

In a skillet cook steaks, peppers and onions until steaks are brown and done

Add the two cans of tomatoes and cover skillet, simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, adding course ground black pepper to taste

Place on a plate and serve with a baked potato and a fresh green salad.  Delicious.

Cook time about 20 to 30 minutes