Sunday, September 4, 2011

Scared to death

In a group of trees
Scared, brought to my knees
Bullets wizzing over my head
Will Mom get a telegraph saying I'm dead?
Waiting,watching every movement
Waiting for the gunship
Counting the ammo on my hip


Little, on this day, do I know
This is not to be my first look at death, oh no
Each day, as a soldier, you know, even if fear never shows
Some days you wonder:what do I do, where do I go?


Before my stint is up, the taste of fear will fill my cup
Fear of death, passing to the other side
Or simply fear of the bullets that could rip my hide?
You swallow your fear, you wear your pride


Death finds me once again
In a bar while sipping gin
I leave the table to take a pee
I could not have known, did not see


An explosion, a deafening blast
Is this my last pee, will this place be my last?
When facing death, no, I never recollected my past
They say you see your life before your eyes
Facing death, not like that, a bunch of lies


A bomb in a bar blows out a wall
The blast tears at the seams
All I hear are peoples' screams
I run to check my friends
For one of them, this is the end


Once more death comes to call
A blast, a rocket, in a helicopter
The bird jerks, I begin to fall
I hit some trees
I scrape my side, I tear my knees


Facing death, is a soldier's lot
Some live to tell a story,some not
Why some stay and some will go
That is an answer no soldier will know


Whether Vietnam,Afghanistan or Iraq
You tell each other, 'I've got your back'
In a death situation,there's no time to slack


You never think Death will pick up your baggage claim
You never think Death will draw your name
When facing Death's final portal
As young soldiers,we think we're immortal


So when you see a soldier,offer him a shake of your hand
He's seen it all, he's played in the band
Tell him thanks
For facing guns,for facing tanks
Tell him you are eternally grateful
For doing their job, remaining faithful
They will be forever grateful 


Vietnam is a war time and people forgot
But all soldiers know their lot
War is hell, war is rotten
Makes no difference if time has forgotten














2 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve you scribed of your pride for the core
I must implore you fought the good fight and
nothing more, you gave your all you met the call
of duty to your countries calling

The bugle sounded you marched without fear
into the unknown without shedding a tear
the horror you witnessed and never forgot
I thank you Sir and salute you a lot

You lived another day for those who did not
and your fellow soldier will never forget
what you gave in the field and protected their
backs without thinking or relenting it was
your duty as a solider in the American war
for freedom and peace

Peace brother, is what we all wanted. It was a big price to pay for the political pride and greed of politicians far and wide. Great scribe my friend. I salute you sir for serving and protecting us all.

steve & Roberta weathers said...

Vincent thanks so much for the lovely poem and your comments are truly appreciated. Thanks for stopping by my friend